Hermana Jones

Hermana Jones

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The Atonement is not just a nice message in a pamphlet, it is real.

I am so sorry that this is so late and so short. We had a very fun day today because we went to the Zocalo! That is what they call the main square in central Mexico City, but the formal name is Plaza de la Constitucion. El Centro es tan chido (Mexican slang word for cool). Seriously, I loved it. It was a nice breath of fresh air, and we even got soaked in the rain. They are setting up for a huge Mexican Independence Day celebration at the Zocalo on September 16. 

On our way to write we had a neat experience with a woman in the lobby of our apartment place who asked us if we prayed for people specifically. We talked to her about how we do pray for people specifically and how our Heavenly Father has great blessings in store for each of His children. We also talked to her about the Temple. She wrote her name down for us to and asked us to pray for her and we talked with her more about the gospel. I also felt impressed to ask if she would like us to pray with her right there, which we did, and she was so grateful. I am so grateful for the guidance of the Spirit. It makes what would otherwise be awkward, like me trying to speak Spanish, into a missionary of God. It was a small but special and significant experience for me.  

I know that Heavenly Father guides us and protects us. We have been blessed with the gift of discernment and to feel the guidance of the Holy Ghost. What a blessing that is. There have been several times when my companion and I have had to duck into a store real quick, or things like that, because men like to follow us. But, we have been protected and blessed.

I have also really utilized the Savior’s Atonement here. Feelings of inadequacy are not uncommon. However, the other day when my companion and I were walking through the streets of Mexico City with not much success, and it was hot and tiring, I stopped for a moment to think about my Savior, instead of about myself, and I felt as though He was walking alongside me right then and there. I know that His influence is always here. I was reminded that the Atonement is here for missionaries too. It’s not just a nice, theoretical message in a pamphlet that we share with people in the street. It is real, and it is here for each one of us. I love the scripture in 1 Nephi 21:15-16. As missionaries, even though we cannot do everything, right now, it does not matter because the worst thing we could do is not work. This time is really going by fast and will only get faster, so we need to enjoy every moment we have.

The Mexico City Temple was rededicated yesterday. Amazing! We had the opportunity to watch all three sessions. President Henry B. Eyring and Elder Jeffrey R. Holland spoke and man were they amazing as always. Elder Holland talked about Malachi 4:5-6 and about the sealing power. He reminded us about our Heavenly Father’s desire that His children return to Him. He taught about the power of the Priesthood to make that possible. It was a great reminder to me about why I am here and what missionary work is all about. President Eyring also told us to “stay the course.” He was so tender with the people of Mexico and shared his heritage with them. I cannot do justice to what they said in their awesome way but it was powerful.

Other quick updates...I got my haircut and all is well with that. Ugh, we need to wrap up and I am sorry I could not write more or send pics. It's just that a ton of friends wrote me today and I took the time to write notes back. I am so sorry but I want to tell you that I love each one of you so deeply and so strongly and I cannot adequately express it, in ingles o en EspaƱol, but I love you and pray for each of you all the time. Tenga un buen semana, and I look forward to reading your emails!

Con amor, 

Hermana Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment