Hermana Jones

Hermana Jones

Monday, March 20, 2017

Faith for the Future

This past week I was reminded of a simple truth- that of having a consistent attitude of finding joy in the journey. One particular story I read during my personal scripture study throughout the week served to bring this to my mind and heart. Ammon’s experience of separating from his brethren and going into unknown territory to teach the Lamanites, found in Alma 17, is a perfect example of this. Ammon had every reason to be stressed, scared, uncertain, and nervous. He was about to face a bloodthirsty people who had been an enemy to the Nephites for years. He was a convert to Christ’s gospel himself. He was alone and knew no one in this land, and yet through it all, Ammon was faithful and relied on the Spirit’s guidance. After being captured and thrown before King Lamoni, faced with the possibility of death, Ammon simply stated in verse 23, “Yea, I desire to dwell among this people for a time; yea, and perhaps until the day I die”. This response pleased the king and provided Ammon with the opportunity to serve him and be an example to the king’s other servants. When faced by an onslaught of robbers in the fields, Ammon’s “heart was swollen within him with joy; for, said he, I will show forth my power unto these my fellow-servants, or the power which is in me, in restoring these flocks unto the king, that I may win the hearts of these my fellow-servants, that I may lead them to believe in my words” (Alma 17:29). Rather than losing hope and being overcome with fear about the dangerous future, Alma took courage and exercised faith in the Savior. He saw an opportunity to turn a trial into a blessing and took it. This is a wonderful reminder to me that life is to be enjoyed and that faith should always be greater than fear. The two cannot dwell within the same heart. Though life may bring trials and uncertainties, having a positive attitude and a deep, abiding love for the Savior can transform these situations into blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment