Hermana Jones

Hermana Jones

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

This is the perfect time of year to give the gift of service and see the blessings and miracles that come from it.

Hello family and friends! I don’t have much time to write today because we had our mission Christmas party today and we have a short bit of time to write before going to teach (we are going to meet with Erick and his family...I told you about them last week!). So, sorry about that but just know that I am doing well and having a swell time here in Mexico! What a fun, memorable day. We first had a devotional and then a talent show. After that we enjoyed participating in various events including limbo, hula hoop, arm wrestling, and stick pull. We finished off with some free time. Let me just say that I am blessed to be in this mission with wonderful missionaries, and with the Stutzneggers!

This week we had a neat experience. My companions and I walked in the dark and cold and rain from 5:00 to 8:00 in the evening because every single one of our appointments and backups fell through. So, we hoisted our bags up and walked, and knocked, and talked. I decided right then in my mind that I love walking and knocking doors. It’s fun! I decided that I would fear no man and talk to everyone we could. I also decided in that moment that I would do this instead of giving up because I love our Savior, Jesus Christ and that I would find someone new to teach for Him that evening before going back to the apartment. My hair was a wet mess and we were all shivering, but we talked to a lot of people, got rejected a ton, and had ourselves a grand old time! I am not joking when I say that. I was happy to be in that situation for Him. After awhile, I had an impression to knock on a specific door and so we did. After a few moments a woman opened the door and said “que milagro” which is a saying here that means, wow I am so happy to see you! She invited us in and explained to us that she had been meeting with two other Hermana missionaries about a year ago and had loved the lessons. She even went to Church a few times but eventually work got in the way and the sisters changed areas and she lost contact with the Church. She hadn’t seen another missionary since then and had felt the absence of God in her life. She was so happy to see us because a little before we had knocked on her door she had been really sad and dealing with some family issues. She cannot wait to begin taking the lessons again. This was a miracle for my companions and me. The Lord had blessed us after hours of walking and being rejected. Many of you may be feeling this way in your lives right now, but this is the perfect time of year to give the gift of service and see the blessings and miracles that come from it.

I had a great time helping out with zone conferences last week; I also got to be in a little group that sang “The First Noel” in Spanish. A highlight of the week was watching the three sessions of the Tijuana Mexico Temple dedication. President Uchtdorf, Elder Oaks, and Elder Wilson (from the Seventy) were there. It was so beautiful and I loved their words. Hermana Wong knew many of the people who participated because it is very near her home so that was fun! I am sorry I don’t have more time to write more but I love you so much. And Dad, thank you for your email to me last week. I have read it several times since then. Also, the new stake in our mission is the Ixtapaluca Stake and it takes in a large chunk of land. We are all very excited over here.

Also, my package and all of the letters came! Thank you so much. I look forward to reading them all on Christmas. Gosh you people are so good! I have been enjoying chugging hot chocolate the past few days and my companions LOVED the gingerbread house, especially darling little Hermana Carrasco. She has never done anything like that before and she was squealing with joy the whole time. I love you. Say hi, and Merry Christmas, to everyone for me!

Love Hermana Jones

The pictures are courtesy of Hermana Stutznegger :)


Hermana Wong and Hermana Carrasco.


Don't forget the reason for the season!


I love Christmas carols.


What would Christmas be without the feats of strength? :)


...and volleyball


Merry Christmas!


I love my mission.



No comments:

Post a Comment